Name Declaration for a Child

Familie_3 Enlarge image (©

If a child of German parent(s) is born outside of Germany, the child' name is not automatically evident according to German law, even if in the foreign birth certificate of the child a surname is already indicated.

A name declaration is usually necessary when applying for a passport, or when the registration of a German birth is requested.

More information on registering the birth of a child

Children of parents who carry a common surname according to German law automatically receive the surnames of their parents. If the parents carry different surnames at the time of the birth of the child or do not have a common surname according to German law, a name declaration for the child is usually necessary.

The German Embassy Port-of-Spain will forward the completed application form with the needed documents to the responsible registrar’s office in Germany. The list of the needed documents can be found on the right side.

Both parents must be present when applying for a name declaration since their signatures must be certified.


At the German Embassy fees for certifying copies (10,-€) and for signature certification (25,-€) may apply: The fee is converted into TT $ according to the daily exchange rate at the German Embassy and can be paid in cash or credit card.

If the submitted documents are not in English or German a translations is needed. 

In individual cases, further documents may be required.