Au Pair Visa

All persons who wish to work as an Au Pair in a family in Germany are required to obtain a residence permit in the form of a visa.
To work as an Au Pair in Germany you must be at least 18 years old and not older than 26 at the time of the application. For your stay a minimum duration of 6 months is required.
According to the visa regulations, you are not allowed to work as an Au Pair in Germany for more than 12 months.


Not subject to this requirement are citizens of the EU and citizens of Australia, Canada, Island, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, the Republic of Korea, Switzerland and the United States of America. Citizens of all other countries who intend to come to Germany for such a stay must apply in person for a visa at the Embassy before entering Germany.
Upon submission of all required documents the application will be forwarded to the competent Aliens Authority (“Ausländerbehörde”) in Germany. Applications can take up to 12 weeks to be processed. After the application has been approved by the Aliens Authority, the German Embassy will issue a residence permit in the form of a visa with the duration of 90 days. A final residence permit for the whole duration of your Au Pair employment will be granted in Germany by the Aliens Authority. This Authority requires all residence permit holders to register upon their first arrival.


  • Valid passport (issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least 6 months after
    arriving in Germany with at least two empty pages)
  • 2 application forms fully completed
  • 2 passport size pictures, not older than three months with a bright background and frontal view of the face (please do not attach the picture to the application form)
  • copies of your passport’s data page
  • Au Pair contract with an Au Pair agency or family in Germany stating the full address (including postal code) of your Au Pair family
  • Proof of German language skills, at least level A1
  • Motivation letter
  • Visa fee: 75.00 EUR, payable in cash and TTD only (according to the exchange rate of the Embassy)                                                           

Au Pair Visa


Book an Appointment with the German Embassy Port of Spain


Please note that you must book an appointment for visa and passport services offered at the German Embassy Port of Spain.

Information from the Federal Employment Agency

Working as an au pair for German families