Language course

Deutschkurs für ausländische Studenten, Uni Bonn Enlarge image (© picture alliance / JOKER)

Applicants who wish to learn the German language (stay more than 90 days) in Germany are required to obtain a residence permit.


Not subject to this requirement are citizens of the EU, citizens of Australia, Canada, Island, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, the Republic of Korea, Switzerland and the United States of America.Citizens of all other countries who intend to come to Germany for such a stay must apply in person for a visa at the Embassy before arrival in the country. 

Upon submission of all required documents, the application will be forwarded to the Aliens Authority (Ausländerbehörde) competent for your intended place of residence in Germany. The visa applications take up to three month to be processed. After the application has been approved by the Alien Authority, the Embassy will issue an entry visa for Germany.


  • Application forms.
  • Two recent passport size photographs.
  • Valid passport (issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least 6 months after arriving in Germany with at least two empty pages)
  • Proof of enrolment to a German language course (at least 20 lessons per week)
  • Proof of financial means (f.e. bank statement, German formal obligation) to cover the costs for the duration of the stay (minimum amount per month: 659.00€ ~ 4,613.00TTD)
  • Accommodation, f.e. Hotel reservation, invitation letter
  • Visa fee (equivalent of 75 EUR) in cash in TTD

Language course


Book an Appointment with the German Embassy Port of Spain


Please note that you must book an appointment for visa and passport services offered at the German Embassy Port of Spain.

Why learn German?

Living language: German is the mother tongue of more than 100 million people.

There are many good reasons for studying German. Find out more!