Student VisaEnlarge image (© picture-alliance/ ZB)
Applicants who wish to study at a university (stay more than 90 days) in Germany are required to obtain a residence permit.
Not subject to this requirement are citizens of the EU, citizens of Australia, Canada, Island, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, the Republic of Korea, Switzerland and the United States of America. Citizens of all other countries who intend to come to Germany for such a stay must apply in person for a visa at the Embassy before arrival in the country.
Upon submission of all required documents, the application will be forwarded to the Aliens Authority (Ausländerbehörde) competent for your intended place of residence in Germany. Student visa applications take about 3 - 4 Weeks to be processed. The processing time can be extended by the Aliens Authority. After the application has been approved by the Alien Authority, the Embassy will issue a entry visa for Germany. The Aliens Authority requires all residence permit holders to register upon their first arrival. A final residence permit for the duration of your studies will be granted in Germany after arrival.
- Application forms
- Two recent passport size photographs
- Valid passport (issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least 6 months after arriving in Germany with at least two empty pages)
- Letter of acceptance of a German university/college
- Proof of financial means (f.e. bank statement, German formal obligation) to cover the costs for the first year of study (minimum amount for the year: 8640€)
- Visa fee (equivalent of 75 EUR) in cash in TTD